Goals


May 30, 2010

Daily Food Myth

Myth #10: It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you're not eating too many calories.

Truth:
Calories are important for weight management, but you should also focus on the quality of the foods your calories are coming from. There is a huge difference between eating 400 calories of chocolate for lunch and enjoying a 400-calorie salad loaded with leafy greens, beans, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. For one, the salad will fill you up longer and help you reach your daily quota for protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, and health-enhancing phytochemicals. Chocolate, on the other hand, will leave you hungry (and undernourished) for the same number of calories. If you eat too many high-calorie, low-nutrient foods, you're more likely to overeat and less likely to meet your body's nutritional needs. This increases your risk of lifestyle diseases related to diet, such as diabetes, high cholesterol, and osteoporosis.

Myself: 99% of the time I follow this line of thinking. When I'm not emotional eating or haven't planned the meal for day I can easily find empty calorie foods to satisfy my cravings, but never to really satisfy my hunger for very long. I've said this before, but let me said it again - Fresh Foods are better for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment