Goals


January 06, 2011

Best of #4

So, I can't tell people enough that it's not about dieting or starving yourselves or even restricting food from your diet - it's about eating enough calories for your body with the right amount of nutrients and nourishment you need. When I was doing my daily food myths I don't think I made this clear enough - FOOD IS GOOD - PILLS ARE FAKE! Every time I would see someone during the holidays they would tell me how great I was looking and of course that's so great to hear, but the next thing that was said was usually "What kind of diet are you on?" "What's your secret?" And I'd always tell people, exercise and a healthy lifestyle, I don't restrict my foods because I want to be a role model for my daughter and not a dieter! It's important for our children to see what moderation looks like and how we can successfully maintain health even when we indulge. Now, what does this all have to do with a vitamin? Well, I hear a lot of people say they don't eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, but they always take their vitamins...yet they judge those who are eating more food on their plate, with more of a variety, because they aren't watching what they eat. On the contrary - those of us with a full plate of food will have more energy, strong muscles and bones, a faster metabolism, and better skin (to name a few benefits) because we've included all the food groups and not a fake one. Bring on the Vegys!
____________________________
Posted on May 23, 2010
Myth #4: If you don't eat enough healthy foods, taking a supplement will cover your bases.

Truth: A poor diet supplemented with vitamins is still a poor diet. Food remains your best source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and phytochemicals that are necessary for good health, and there has been no evidence to date that proves people who take supplements are any healthier than those who don't. Spend a little more time and money on delicious, tasty meals and snacks to meet your nutritional needs instead of supplements. Remember that a supplement is just that—a little extra in addition to wise food choices like real fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins and calcium-rich dairy (or non-dairy) products.

Myself: I rarely remember to take a daily vitamin, but I do feel that it is necessary to take one. Like it says above, spend more time focusing on getting your daily nutrients from the foods you are eating instead of a pill. Another post will be needed on what foods help get the best and most efficient nutrients. Look for that in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment