Goals


January 23, 2010

I’m continuing to have a difficult time with cravings during my PMS time, and am proud to announce that I am not giving in. But, on the flip side if it was available I probably would. So, kudos to me for not having anything in the house to binge on, such as chocolate cake or doughnuts. I also turned down the option of buying garlic bread to go with tonight’s spaghetti dinner. Another pat on the back for me.

In order to curb some of my cravings I went on a very long walk with Julia this afternoon, and it really helped to pass the time and to avoid my bored emotional eating issues. I walked to the park and let Julia play, and then we walked the steep incline of Mening Park and then around town some before heading home.

Total Calories today: 1,820 Total Burned: 134

For dinner tonight we tried out a Rachael Ray recipe from her daytime talk show. It was called Bacon, Leek and Tomato Spaghetti. Jon was working on it while I ran out to run an errand, so he had Julia under foot. He missed a few steps and altered it some, so we will try the recipe again when we’re more focused. We also replaced bacon with turkey bacon, which was a nice taste. I attempted to get a nutritional value for this with the ingredients I used, but RR did not post any with her recipe. Here is the recipe…

3 leeks
2 tablespoons EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 slices center-cut bacon, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced or chopped
Salt and pepper
1 28-ounce can Italian whole tomatoes in purée
1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1 pound spaghetti
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
A handful of fresh basil, thinly sliced or chopped

Trim tough tops and root ends of the leeks. Halve them lengthwise and thinly slice. Fill sink or large bowl with water and wash leeks, separating layers and swishing them around in water. Dry in a salad spinner or on kitchen towel and reserve.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.

Heat a deep skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add bacon and crisp. Add reserved leeks and garlic, cook 2-3 minutes to soften. Season liberally with black pepper.

Add tomatoes and purée to pan and mash up tomatoes. Bring up to a simmer and let thicken over low heat while you cook pasta. Stir in parsley.

Salt pasta water and cook pasta to al dente. Drain pasta and toss with sauce for a minute or so. Serve in shallow bowls with cheese and basil on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment