Goals


August 24, 2010

The Journey Continues

There you all are asking me how I am doing with my “diet” and how my exercising is going out in the real world. I knew you were out there thinking of me. It’s been interesting to have taken a break from the blog, but continue on my journey. I have managed to step away from the thoughts and focus more on the actions and the lifestyle. More of you have been coming up to me to talk with me and see how I’m doing, because you haven’t heard. I’m so glad you are still interested, and wanting to hear my story. So, here it is.

I’m doing great! I haven’t had any significant weight loss in the past month because life has been taking priority over my gym time, but as part of my journey I’ve had to except that and find other ways to burn those calories. Some ways I have managed that burn in recent weeks includes walking the mall for several hours with the stroller, cleaning the house (moving furniture, dusting the ceiling, vacuuming, and scrubbing floor boards), church garden work party, and church yard sale. You would be surprise at how sore and fatigued I became after some of these activities. I didn’t get my heart rate going, but I worked my muscles and made sure they remembered they were still in use. I didn’t sit on the couch, I didn’t even sit at the computer for long periods of time, and I just got out and did stuff. I’ve been to farmer’s markets; I’ve been walking around town; and even riding public transit so that I don’t just sit around all day.

My journey with food is still a struggle at times. I find it difficult to eat on a budget due to several factors. One, my daughter has certain foods that are guaranteed winners that I know she will eat, which aren’t salads and low fat foods. Two, fish is not cheap. Three, when life has you out and in the world away from your refrigerator and pantry the healthy stuff is twice the price then the junk food. This part has been the struggle. Doing a yard sale for two days and not remembering to pack healthy options to snack on resulted in fast food lunch and a quick hunger only an hour later. And going to the mall to play and walk results in greasy, fried, or expensive options. Where’s the happy medium? I’m sure the easy answer would be to plan for these events and bring along your food, but any mom would tell you that answer is just not realistic! When your kid's hungry and all she wants to eat is pizza and fries that really sucks, or you could drive the 45 minutes home while she screams in hunger and give her the healthy turkey sandwich or fruit and vegys you know she will eat at home. So, the journey continues with more insight into how hard it will always be and a quest to make not just me, but my family healthier!

Tomorrow is weigh-in day and I promise to post my current weight and any exercise that I have been getting. Wish me luck in some loss; I haven’t seen a lot of it lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment