So, let’s talk food and home cooking for awhile. Now that we know we need to eat more vegetables and whole grains to burn more of our body fat what can we find to eat that goes with that theory? Here’s my first in a series of recipes I will share with you off and on (really until I run out to share).
Now, this is a big one – it’s a family recipe. So, I’m going to copyright it right here and now – do not steal this without giving us credit! Ok, now that that’s out of the way – I call this one
The Heart Family Soup
Ingredients: Serves 6-8 people
2 cans of tomato juice/sauce
1 large box of low sodium beef Broth
2 ½ Cup of water
Cabbage – ½ chopped
1 Cup Barley pearls
Beef, chicken, or ground turkey– 1 lb
Onion – chopped
3-4 medium sized Russet Potatoes
Celery stocks – 3-4 chopped
1 Cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon Sugar
2 tbspn of oil (Canola or EVVOO)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large stock pot pour tomato juice/sauce; broth; and water together and stir. Once it begins to boil, add in chopped cabbage. Boil down the cabbage while you prep the rest of the food.
2. Meanwhile, pour oil in a skilled and sauté onions and celery together and then add meat to brown with the vegetables.
3. While the meat is browning, chop up the potatoes and place in the stock pot. Turn soup down to a simmer. Add 1 cup barley pearls. Stir.
4. Once meat and vegetables are cooked, add into soup. Stir in 1 teaspoon of sugar.
5. Simmer (low-medium heat) soup on stovetop for 2-3 hours.
6. When 30 minutes is left in cooking, Add 1 cup frozen corn, stir well.
Serve with your favorite bread – my family loves cornbread and it goes well with this soup.